Pages

Saturday, December 21, 2013

Where Does Salvation Come From?

Man is so effected by sin “The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned.” (1 Corinthians 2:14). There is nothing we can do to be saved. “ [Jesus] saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit (Titus 3:5) For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. (Ephesians 2:8-9). Repentance, Grace, and Faith are gifts from God.

Man, because of sin and the sovereignty of God, does not have free will. It would be a contradiction if man was so free that God was sovereign in name only. The opposite is a contradiction as well, God has not made everything so fatalistic that man has free will in name only. The truth is, God is absolutely sovereign and man has a limited will that can make choices that are real and significant. Because of sin we cannot will to be saved without God working it in us first and begin regeneration.

Here are two quotes on the subject before we look at more scripture:

“Regeneration, or the new birth, is a work of God’s grace whereby believers become new creatures in Christ Jesus. It is a change of heart wrought by the Holy Spirit through conviction of sin, to which the sinner responds in repentance toward God and faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. Repentance and faith are inseparable experiences of Grace” – Baptist Faith and Message. (Pg 4, Article 4. Salvation, Section A. Regeneration.)

“A man is not saved against his will, but he is made willing by the operation of the Holy Ghost.” – Charles Spurgeon

Now for more Scripture that shows this to be true:

He came to his own, and his own people did not receive him. But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God, who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God. (John 1:11-13)

Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure. (Philippians 2:12-13)

So then it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy. (Romans 9:16)

As you can see God has to work in us first and not only does He work in us first, to allow us to be willing, but He also draws us to Himself to be saved and He does it effectively(to see who and what Christ died for exactly click here):

No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day. (John 6:44)

And I am sure of this, that He who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ. (Philippians 1:6)

But we ought always to give thanks to God for you, brothers beloved by the Lord, because God chose you as the firstfruits to be saved, through sanctification by the Spirit and belief in the truth. (2 Thessalonians 2:13)

[Jesus] who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of His own purpose and grace, which He gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began. (2 Timothy 1:9)

“Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places,even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved. In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace, which he lavished upon us, in all wisdom and insight making known to us the mystery of his will, according to his purpose, which he set forth in Christ as a plan for the fullness of time, to unite all things in him, things in heaven and things on earth.

In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will, so that we who were the first to hope in Christ might be to the praise of his glory. In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory.” (Ephesians 1:3-14, ESV)

 

Here is a song based on this truth:
Listen here.

My Lord, I did not choose You,
For that could never be;
My heart would still refuse You,
Had You not chosen me.

You took the sin that stained me,
You cleansed me, made me new;
Of old You have ordained me,
That I should live in You.


Chorus:
My Lord, I did not choose You,
For that could never be;
My heart would still refuse You,
Had You not chosen me.


Unless Your grace had called me
And taught my opening mind,
The world would have enthralled me,
To heavenly glories blind.

My heart knows none above You;
For Your rich grace I thirst;
I know that if I love You,
You must have loved me first.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bonitas Dei

Bonitas Dei, the goodness of God. Goodness according to Webster’s Dictionary means, “The state of being good; the physical qualities which ...